Over the past few weeks I (and about 600 other bloggers worldwide) participated in The Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap. What does this mean? Aside from cookies, that is? This year, it meant raising almost $14,000 for Cookies for Kids’ Cancer. (!!!) It meant each participating blogger baking and sending a dozen cookies each to 3 other bloggers, and it meant every blogger receiving 3 dozen cookies in the mail!
Talk about a win-win!
My contribution to this worldwide sugar high comes in the form of Salted Toffee Crunch Cookies. Salted – because it’s necessary. Crunch – because… necessary. Toffee – because I was waiting in line at the grocery store and this Heath bar… it was looking at me. Looking I tell you! I stared right back and said, “I’m gonna put you in a cookie. Then I’m gonna eat you.”
Well I didn’t really say it, it was more of a thought. At least, I hope. Being hungry in a grocery store can have frightening effects on people.
The salt and crunch in these cookies are brought by pretzels and peanuts.Â All of these goodies get folded into a pretty much perfect drop cookie recipe from Martha Stewart. It’s my go-to when the mood strikes to add every ingredient I can to a basic cookie.
That mood strikes fairly often.
I’ve made these cookies with dozens of combinations of nuts, chocolate, potato chips, dried fruit… you name it. But I think this toffee-pretzel-peanut combo is my favorite. There are so many things going on in each bite I almost can’t handle it!
I do manage though. Somehow.
I have to send lots of love to the ladies responsible for all these cookies soaring around the globe: Lindsay at Love & Olive OilÂ and Julie at The Little Kitchen! Thanks for putting together such a fun event that helps such a deserving cause!
And another big thank you to the bloggers I received cookies from!
Brianne @Â Cupcakes & Kale ChipsÂ sent Browned Butter White Chocolate Cranberry Cashew Oatmeal Cookies
Susan @ The Foodette sent Salted Caramel Hot Cocoa Cookies
Mark @ Neufangled Desserts sent Salted Vanilla Chip Oatmeal Cookies
Aaaaaaand I’m full!
Salted Toffee Crunch Cookies
Adapted from Martha Stewart's Cooking School
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup roughly chopped toffee bars (about 5 ounces of candy)
- 2/3 cup crumbled pretzels
- 2/3 cup salted, roasted peanuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt and baking soda.
- In a stand mixer or with a hand mixer, cream together butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, mixing thoroughly after each. Mix in vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients in three additions, mixing until combined each time. Mix in the toffee, pretzels and peanuts. Using a 1 1/2" ice cream scoop (or with your hands), scoop and drop the dough onto the prepared baking sheets, 12 per sheet. Bake, rotating sheets halfway through, until the edges start to brown and the cookies are set in the center, 13-15 minutes. Let them cool on the pans for a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling. Repeat with the remaining dough.