Open-Faced Egg & Goat Cheese Sandwich

open-faced egg & goat cheese sandwich

When I get breakfast at a restaurant, I want EVERYTHING. Eggs, potatoes, bacon, french toast/pancakes. All of it.

This probably stems from my lack of motivation most mornings to make elaborate breakfasts at home. On Saturday OR Sunday (almost never both), I’ll make the whole shibang, sure.

Otherwise… there’s always oatmeal or something.

open-faced egg & goat cheese sandwich

Allow me to introduce you to my new favorite middle-ground breakfast. A little more involved than pouring hot water over oats, but definitely still a cinch.

So easy in fact, that you can complete it before your coffee is done – simply using the brain power you woke up with! Whoa!

four ingredient breakfast

Four ingredients. That’s what’s up.

Salt and pepper don’t count as ingredients, do they?

Well, either way. Still super easy. You ready?

Toast your bread.

Slather it with goat cheese.

Sprinkle with salt, pepper and dill (tarragon might also be nice).

toast with goat cheese and dill

Top with fried egg.

Win at life.

open-faced egg & goat cheese sandwich

Nutty bread, tangy cheese, fresh herbs, gooey egg. Goooood morning!

Open-Faced Egg & Goat Cheese Sandwich

Ingredients

• rustic bread, preferably with nuts, sliced thick
  • goat cheese, softened
  • fresh dill, torn in small pieces
  • 1 egg
  • kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper

Method

1. Toast a slice of bread. Spread generously with goat cheese, sprinkle with salt, pepper, and a good pinch of fresh dill.
  2. Heat a nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add a tablespoon of butter and fry the egg to desired doneness, season with salt and pepper. Top the sandwich with the egg and more dill.

Yields

1 sandwich

Posted in: Bread, Breakfast & Brunch, Cheese & Dairy, Eggs, Mains, One-Pot Dish, Quick & Easy, Sandwiches, Vegetarian

Tags: ,

18 Responses to “Open-Faced Egg & Goat Cheese Sandwich”

1. I absolutely adore runny eggs and goat cheese is wonderful! This open faced sandwich is perfect for lunch alongside a nice fresh salad. Delicious! Hope you have fun this weekend! :)

2. Pennie says:

Delicious! Sometimes the simplest combinations are the most winning–love the nutty bread and fresh herbs. Can’t wait to try this!

3. Jenny says:

I share your enthusiasm for breakfast – if I ever stay in a hotel with a breakfast buffet I can be there for hours working my way through everything!

This looks like a really great start to the day – love the goats’ cheese.

4. This looks so good! That bread looks divine, goat cheese is one of our favourite cheeses, and runny is the only way to have your yolk! Fantastic recipe!

• brittany says:

Thanks! If you ever make your way to San Diego, you’ve gotta check out Bread & Cie – it’s the best bread in the city. I stock up every time I’m in town!

5. What a delicious breakfast sandwich. I must give it a try. I love the fact it is so easy and soo delicious:) Thanks for sharing!

6. cassie says:

This post makes me long for Star Trek technology that would instantly transport that to me via my computer screen. It looks incredibly yummy!

I’d love to know how you get such a perfect looking, over-medium egg! Also would like to know what kind of bread you used above.

• brittany says:

I wonder – if that technology existed, would we ever leave our computers? I know I wouldn’t!

Wanna know something funny? Here’s my secret to the perfect over-medium egg: set out to make an over-easy egg, get distracted setting up photography equipment and corralling your pug, then voila! – over-medium. But in all seriousness, the egg is always going to keep cooking for a minute after you take it off the heat, so when it looks over-easy in the pan it should be over-medium once it hits your plate.

The bread is the walnut scallion variety from Bread & Cie in San Diego (I love that this kind turns purple-ish for some reason). It’s bread heaven!

7. Janet says:

I have never been much for pancakes or waffles. Yes, they look delicious slathered in syrup but, for me, they just don’t measure up. Now *this* is a sandwich I can sink me teeth into! Thanks for making this non-pancake gal happy!

• brittany says:

My husband is the same way, so it’s almost always savory breakfasts in this house. I’m glad the savory-breakfast lovers approve! :)

8. cindy says:

Whenever we go to breakfast, I try to get Sean to order something savory (that I want) and I’ll order something sweet, so we can share and I win! ha!

fried egg sandwiches of all varieties are my go-to semi-fancy weekend breakfast. I love the fresh herbs here!

• brittany says:

Haha yes!!! That’s totally my strategy. In fact, I guess I’ve been overusing it since lately Josh will try to quietly decide on something and keep it a secret until we order! What the hell?!

I steal some anyway. The problem with his plan is that I like everything, so the joke is on him!

9. shusmita says:

Love this recipe. Only question I have is about the bread. What type of bread did you use here?

Pingbacks

1. [...] meow cups, egg sandwich, paperless post, link bracelet, fox pouch, Sunday Best, shades tweet this / like this Leave a [...]