Introducing Kentucky Mules, a bright and flavorful twist on a classic cocktail drink. These drinks are perfect for sipping away on a not-so-wintry day.
Kentucky Mules can make special occasions or match day get-togethers that much more memorable (or not…depending on how many you have).
Having a signature cocktail like this one at a party makes life easier for the hosts while still giving the impression that you went the extra mile for your guests. You don’t have to worry about stocking a full bar or the hassle of making a million different drinks.
A signature cocktail allows you to set out the few things required for that drink with a bucket of ice, and you’re done. You’ll be doling out drinks faster than people can gulp them down.
I. What is this Kentucky Mules?
The Kentucky Mule is a refreshing cocktail inspired by the Moscow Mule. Traditionally these drinks are served in copper cups. Its refreshing taste comes with a Southern flair that you’re sure to enjoy.
The classic Moscow Mule uses vodka, ginger beer and lime juice. All you need to make a Kentucky Mule is ice, lime juice, Kentucky bourbon whiskey (instead of vodka), and spicy ginger beer. The combination of flavors in this Kentucky Mule recipe creates a zesty and slightly sweet concoction, perfect for a relaxed sip.
Related Article: Lemon Juice Substitute
Just like its Moscow counterpart, the Kentucky bourbon Mule is typically garnished with a lime slice, offering a tangy finish to this delightful beverage.
II. Other Moscow Mule variations
The Kentucky Mule is not the only variation of the Moscow Mule. There are several other Mules that can be prepared in a similar way, using different types of alcohol and ingredients.
Here is a list of variations you can try:
- Dark and Stormy
Replace bourbon with dark rum, and add 1/2 oz of freshly squeezed lime juice. Pour over ice and top with ginger beer. Serve in copper mugs, garnish with lime wedge, and drink cold.
- Gin Buck
Swap bourbon for gin blend with 1/2 oz fresh lime juice. Fill the glass with ice, ginger ale, and gin-lime mix. Stir and savor the bubbly blend.
- Gin Gin Mule
Mix gin, 1/2 oz fresh squeezed lime juice and ginger beer. Serve over ice in copper mugs for extra chill. Garnish with lime wedge and fresh mint.
- Irish Mule
For a Celtic twist, replace bourbon with Irish whiskey. Add 1/2 oz fresh lime juice, ice, and ginger beer. Serve chilled, garnish with lime wedge. Sláinte!
- Mexican Mule
Replace the vodka in the original with tequila, and you have a classic Mexican Mule. Blend 2 oz tequila, 1/2 oz fresh lime juice, and ginger beer. Serve in copper mugs over ice, lime wedge, and a fiesta begins!
- Blarney Stone Cocktail
For this Irish delight, mix Irish whiskey, 1/2 oz fresh lime juice, and ginger beer. Serve cold in a copper mug. Garnish with lime wedge and luck o’ the Irish.
- London Mule
Try a classy English cocktail with the London Mule. Swap bourbon for gin, and blend with 1/2 oz fresh lime juice. Top with ginger beer, and serve over ice. Copper mug adds elegance. Add a lime garnish for a royal touch.
- Mezcal Mule
Here’s a smoky delight: combine 2 oz mezcal, 1/2 oz fresh lime juice, and ginger beer. Serve over ice in copper mugs with a lime wedge.
- Collins Glass or Moscow mule copper mug
- Stirring spoon
- Ice for serving
- 1/2 ounce lime juice
- 2 ounces bourbon
- 4 to 6 ounces ginger beer
- 1 nos. lime wedge for garnish
- Fill a Collins glass or Moscow Mule copper mug with ice and add the lime juice.
- Pour in the bourbon and fill with cold ginger beer.
- Stir the ginger beer, bourbon, and lime juice cocktail and garnish with a slice of lime.
- While not mandatory, serving in copper mugs enhances the experience by keeping the drink colder and more refreshing.
- This is a recipe that calls for a ginger beer with as much bite as you can get! Try AJ Stephans. It’s possibly the spiciest and most flavorful one among ginger beers.
- For an aromatic twist, muddle fresh mint leaves before adding ice and ingredients. Mint complements the zing of lime and ginger.
- Replace bourbon with non-alcoholic options for a delightful alcohol-free version. Ginger ale works wonders here.
- Add some jalapeno slices to give this drink an extra kick!
- Make it your own by customizing any part of this recipe. Try different types of spirits, mixers, and garnishes. Enjoy responsibly!