If you live in most parts of the Northern Hemisphere, this is probably just what you need right now. A light and refreshing salad with fresh herbs and a jalapeño kick!
Unless, like me, you live in San Francisco… In which case we can totally enjoy all the benefits of this salad next month or something!
Karl the Fog will allow us to resume summer weather whenever he damn well pleases.
(And rightfully so, he’s quite a sight to behold.)
So, in the meantime, all of you regular weather people can enjoy a nice cooling salad, and I’ll just eat mine under a blanket.
It’s okay. I like blankets!
This salad is my ideal kind of summer weather fare – it requires no heat and comes together in a few minutes. It’s the type of food that feels especially invigorating after a potential overload on corn dogs and fries at the county fair, or chips and guac on the couch.
Fruits and veggies, you guys! Gotta do it.
And there is no reason they need to be boring.
I propose a new hashtag: #PutAJalapeñoOnIt. Everything is more exciting with jalapeño!
Shaved Fennel and Melon Salad
A mandoline does wonders for slicing the fennel and cantaloupe!
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium fennel bulb, stalks & core removed, sliced very thin
- 1/2 medium cantaloupe, peeled, sliced thin
- 1 jalapeño, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup chopped mint leaves
- feta cheese, to crumble on top
- In a small bowl combine the lemon zest and juice, olive oil and honey. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a larger bowl, lightly toss together the fennel, cantaloupe, jalapeño and mint. Add the salad dressing and toss to combine. Top with feta cheese.