Chickpea Cakes with Spicy Herb Sauce
Alright Patrice (my dearest gluten-intolerant friend), next time you ask me to make hummus or something with bacon, I’m making you these instead! the scrumptious Chickpea Cakes with Spicy Herb Sauce to eat and have a mouthful of different flavor punch in each bite.
Well, I might also make something with bacon. We can always use some bacon.
Anyway, about these cakes. They’re sort of like hummus in that garbanzo beans, tahini, lemon, and garlic are involved. But wait! Then they’re mixed with fresh herbs and jalapeno, formed into cakes, and crisped up in oil. try out our recipe of tasty yams to pair with the chickpeas patties.
Then, as if crispy cakes of hummusy goodness weren’t enough, they’re topped off with a super flavorful spicy herb sauce that echoes the flavors in the cakes.
You could serve these as an appetizer, a light lunch with a salad, or a side dish. If you’re anything like me and were snacking all day before making these, 2 of them make a mighty fine dinner. The sauce, if you somehow had some leftover, could be used on pretty much anything savory that needs an extra punch. Serve it over grilled meat, drizzled into a soup, stirred into plain rice… get crazy with it.
You could also make these into smaller, more bite-sizey cakes if you were feeling cutesy. I dished these out with a standard ice cream scoop, because that’s how I roll. Or scoop.
CHICKPEA CAKES WITH SPICY HERB SAUCE
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- scant 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- zest & juice of 1 lemon
- 4 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno, seeds & ribs removed, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for cooking the cakes
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons chopped mint leaves
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- cornmeal, for dredging
- spicy herb sauce, recipe follows
- In a food processor, pulse the chickpeas, chickpea flour, lemon zest & juice, garlic, jalapeno, tahini, olive oil, and egg until well combined. Add the mint, parsley, chives, salt, and pepper to taste; pulse until combined.
- Spoon the mixture into a bowl and stir to make sure the ingredients are thoroughly mixed. Wet your hands with water and spoon out the mixture in even portions (I used an ice cream scoop), forming into patties. Rewet your hands as necessary so the patties don’t stick. Place the patties on a sheet pan lined with parchment or wax paper. Place them in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, or until ready to use.
- Once the patties are cold, preheat the oven to 200 degrees. Pour some cornmeal onto a plate and coat each patty on both sides with the cornmeal. Heat a large pan over medium heat; add enough oil to coat. Cook as many patties as you can fit at a time, 3-5 minutes per side, until golden brown and crispy. Keep finished patties warm in the oven on a cooling rack set over a sheet pan. Serve with the spicy herb sauce.
10 large cakes
SPICY HERB SAUCE RECIPE
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1/2 jalapeno, roughly chopped
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Add all ingredients to a food processor or blender; process until well combined.
I am a kitchen expert and connoisseur of food with decades of cooking experience who loves to cook a variety of scrumptious food item to awaken the taste buds of people who eat my food. I know a lot about kitchen utensils and appliances and here to share my years of knowledge about the best kitchen products with you.
With his gumption, alacrity along with astute acumen to pick the authentic and best quality ingredients from across the world to make the scrumptious recipes which soothes the taste buds of eater has made him the name on which people can count on when it comes to cooking advice, world class meals and cuisines native to the different cities of world.
His unique ability improvise and make dishes with different raw produce and ingredients in less time which are delicious and relished by the guests has made Tushar leader in the arena of cooking.